The stained glass windows facing Washington Street were installed
and dedicated on
December 4th, 1941.
The Presbyterian church was the second church to be organized in Martinsville, but was the first to have an official meeting place. A church building was constructed in 1842 on the northwest corner of Jefferson and Jackson Streets, now the parking lot of the Martinsville Reporter.
The first women, Catherine Shireman, Elsie Hardwick, and Ruth Rusie, were elected as deaconesses. The first woman, Inez Reynolds, served as an elder.
In 1880 church leaders decided to build a new building at the present location, 240 East Washington Street. Construction and financing began and on August 21, 1881, the first service was held. The total cost of construction was $8,416.78.
A major addition of a large meeting room, kitchen facilities and
renovation of the church was
performed as a result of a generous
estate gift by longtime
member Roxanna Keller.
240 East Washington Street
A new education wing which
included classrooms, a parlor,
choir room and large basement